Friday, January 25, 2013

New Archaeology Storage

New storage spaces have been found and are now housing most archaeological evidence that were in Yeaton-Walsh house.  The artifacts are in a much safer environment now.  The house is also relieved of the weight!

Alix Martin, our new archaeologist, has been moving the organization of the department right along.  Prior to working here, she worked at Colonial Williamsburg and has much experience in archaeology.  She is currently working towards her PhD.  It will be great to have her as Strawbery Banke's new Archaeologist!!

Chase basement is now cleaned up and full of Puddle Dock excavation findings.  There is a lot more storage space now and is a great area.  It is important to be able to preserve these artifacts in the way that they were discovered.  If they lose their structural integrity, they are no longer able to answer the questions we may have about their history.

More areas will be able to be used for storage soon.  Small and older shelving unsuitable for artifact storage is going to be removed in the coming year and be replaced by the metal shelving used in Goodwin basement as well as Chase basement. This will be one of our final steps in organizing the artifact collections. 

Look forward to updates on further activities at Strawbery Banke!!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Townhouse Update

The townhouse is being updated once more in the two west rooms previously occupied.  Now that the previous tenants have moved out, restoration is underway.  The project is expected to be done over the winter and ready for office occupations this spring.

Yeaton House Restoration

Yeaton house is the next building in line for a full restoration.  Built in 1794, these two houses are conjoined in the center by a wall.  The original property owner was Thales Yeaton.  Half of this land was sold to his brother-in-law, Timothy Winn.  They both started construction at the same time and presumably finished in 1795.  The Thales Yeaton house was built as a single family house with a central chimney structure and had a small shop in the front of the house. This shows that someone in the family worked out of their home.  As it appears today, this house is of 1830s appearance and will be restored to this period.

The white house on the left is the side Winn constructed.  The grey and red side was built by Yeaton.  They are conjoined in the middle by a wall.
Back side of the Thales Yeaton house in its current state.

The amount of $20,000 is being funded by an LCHIP grant for this restoration. The Land and Community Heritage Investment Program provides grants for historic preservation and land conservation in New Hampshire.  Their goal is to provide non-profits with resources to protect and preserve New Hampshire's historic and natural resources.

Gifts from community members, foundations, and other organizations are also funding this restoration project. 
The restoration and preservation of this building will be maintained at its 1830 appearance. The ground floor clapboards will be replaced to return to the 1830s look.  The top floor's clapboards are period correct so they will remain in place.  The foundation, windows, roofing and framing are also going to be restored to 1830s period.

 The Thales Yeaton house is one of three that remain to be restored.  The outcome of the interior is yet to be decided but we will keep you updated!